Saturday 5 December 2009

Python's Moratorium

Jesse Noller has posted a thorough and well-reasoned explanation of Python's recently-announced moratorium on new language features.  I'm surprised that people are grumbling about the moratorium, but it is good to see a well-argued response to the critics.

I'm very keen for us to standardise on Python 3.x in our teaching at Leeds, but the (understandably) slow pace of transition to the new syntax for some of the large third-party packages and frameworks that we use (e.g., Pygame, wxPython, etc) has meant that we've been reluctant up until now to make the commitment.  My hope is that we'll see greater enthusiasm for making the '2 to 3' transition, now that Python is not going to be a moving target for the next couple of years.

Of course, this is a community where we should all pitch in and help to make change happen - so I'm not going to sit back and wait for others to do all the work.  I just have to figure out where I can make an effective and useful contribution...

No comments:

Post a Comment